Thursday, February 23, 2006

Relinquish


Background

I first wanted to name this poem (if i can call it a poem), 'surrender'...but the word seemed to have a negative ring to it. Though it has shades of the spirit of relinquishing, it also connotes an acceptance of despair, an admittance of defeat.

'Relinquish' on the other hand...sounds relatively more straight-forward and matter-of-fact to be the title of a poem. It is in fact very 'prosaic' but, I found some very powerful visual cues when looking up this word

Relinquish is to...

To part with a possession or a right
Cease to hold or adhere to
Relinquish to the power of another; yield to the control of another (and the last one is my favorite)
To release, as from one's grip

I have always grappled with the question...do I own my life? Am I the master of my own destiny? And each time i have asked myself this question, i have a subtle reminder that there is something beyond me that is steering the course of my life...call it a force, destiny, fate or God....and whenever I step back a bit from myself and my life and watch what is happening and let it happen...I find myself happier, instead of forcibly trying to steer it to another path. That does not mean I surrender my life and stop dreaming and living and experiencing what it offers. I merely open my fist...and release my grip and then sit back and enjoy the auto pilot mode....And I have written this poem...so that every time i forget this truth or doubt it, it serves me as a reminder

_________________________________________________________________________________

I give back to you what is yours
What was never mine…I can never own
I can never control

I am just here to experience what you have set out for me
I do not choose these experiences
I neither despair…nor hope…nor desire
I accept what you have given me
And thank you for it

I have nothing of mine in me.
Whatever is there….is yours!

Categories: Reflections_ , Poems_

3 comments:

  1. nice poem once again!!
    Had similar thoughts a couple of days ago...so the question would be...do you believe in coincidence? or do you believe that everything happens because it is meant to happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. anand, someone famous has quoted (and i cant remember who it is now) that 'life is what happens to you when you are sitting by and planning!' it just depends on how people deal with these events. one chose to be stubborn about it and keep questioning or just plain accept and enjoy....as for serendipity...its too magical for me not to believe in it....without it..life would be very two-dimensional and boring isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear anonymous....i thought of you when i wrote this...wink wink

    ReplyDelete