Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ignite the Change?

I came across this petition here. I read it. I signed it. A strong voice in me said...not much is going to come out of this...Such efforts would perhaps get some media attention...mumbai would perhaps see a visit by the prime minister....may be a committee / task force would be set up - give it a few days / weeks / months and everybody would forget about it. Till the next city is bombed...till more lives are lost!

It said....

Dear Mr. Prime Minister,
Mumbai is tired, impatient and very angry. It doesn’t want the praise. It wants its dues. For too long have we received only empty accolades. Now it’s payback time…

Those words....they reflect, what i would safely assume, most of us feel about not only the city...but also the country we live in. I admit i am guilty of not having a positive attitude to change...i haven't seen evidence that would prove me wrong.

People of the older generation say...Change is a slow process...India is changing...Things have improved. Look at the roads, the flyovers zipping across the country...privatization of airlines, telecom...foreign investment...satellite television...McDonalds...Pringles...Malls...a better quality of life...did you think 15 years ago that you'd have all this in India?

No I say...I did not...but 15 years back...also you had told me that things would change...I had then imagined less people to die of starvation...more people to have access to clean water....children who should've been reading, playing, learning - would not have to sell balloons, flowers, pirated books on the road to earn themselves a living...i had though that in 15 years there would be less fear, more security, fewer people living on the streets...fewer farmers committing suicide since it did not rain in a given year...more people of my generation staying back in the country...a stronger sense of national pride...we'd see tax money to better use...some use...less corrupt politicians...a more efficient judicial system...a greater sense of justice...a greater respect for ordinary life...!

If change is a slow process - then is 15 years not long enough to create a situation where we see a basic respect for human life in this country, where people don't struggle, beg, steal, sell themselves to meet their basic needs - where people don’t flee the country at the first available opportunity...how much time would it take then...25....50 years...more?

Dear Mr. Prime Minister,

This is not the first time there is a citizen's petition. Not the first time that people have signed it. Not the first time that all this could come to naught.

As I clicked the submit button...i kept repeating to myself...
Oh God...this time...just this one time...I wish I am wrong!

Go sign the petition here for whatever its worth!



,,,

1 comment: